Salads are bounteous, fresh, colorful, crisp veggies and fruits blended together that are refreshing and unpretentious
The question that pops up is why salads are popular only with the health conscious? Luckily today more people than less are health conscious foodie-doodies... so they have everything going for them. But yes! It is a no-brainer that eating salads regularly is beneficial for HEALTH, as a matter, of fact it is almost synonymous with health.
Salads are also a great way of both show casing and also increasing consumption of fresh vegetables & fruits.
Here at 10 top benefits one gets from eating salads
- Soluble fiber slows the rate of absorption of sugar into the blood-stream & reduces the collection of bad cholesterol in the blood, the 2 main maladies of DIABETES and CARDIAC PROBLEM in today’s world.
- Insoluble fiber – Fiber from the skin and seeds of vegetables that cannot be digested by us provides bulk during the digestive process and prevents digestive problems such as constipation, diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis etc.
- Helps in weight management– An appropriate salad low in calories but high in bulk provides satiety on one hand and helps in initializing weight loss and later on weight management. It makes a person slimmer but toned as it gives all the nutrients required for you minus the extra calories.
- Strengthen your muscles: Most salad vegetables especially spinach and other salad greens (lettuce, arugula, bok choy etc.) have a compound called `nitrates’ that help in production of proteins especially in the muscles making them stronger and more efficient. Looks like our age old classic Popeye had it right all along. Most vegetables also provide potassium which is required for better muscle health.
- Increased Immune system: Increased intake of colorful vegetables rich in anti oxidants helps build and boost the immune system regularly.
- Protect against many types of diseases: High fiber not only reduces cardiac problems and/or Diabetes Mellitus, it also is protective against cancer, helps in reflux, ulcer etc.
- Boosts and sharpens your eyesight: Unbelievable but true – certain salads rich in carrots, peppers, or any leafy produce that is intensely green can actually help sharpen your eyesight. This is because they contain large amounts of vitamin A, carotenoids, lutein, and zeaxanthin. These are nutrients & phyto-chemicals that help both in light & dark eye adaptation and damage from high-energy light. All those engaged at staring at their computer monitors, all virtual gamers and avid TV viewers will benefit if they increase the intake of Vit A rich veggies & fruits and protect their eyes.
- Lower your food cravings: Eating a salad regularly slowly helps reduce cravings for many other fatty foods. Additionally, eating a small salad before a meal will help prevent over-eating and promote weight loss. This is especially true when you add proteins like chicken, eggs, nuts etc. as they take a longer time for digestion.
- Jiffy and easy meals– Salads, needing no major culinary expertise, are easy and quick to prepare. Just assemble whatever you can lay your hands on, add some flavorful herbs and seasoning, and viola, your meal is ready!
- Aids good sleep – Lack of sleep due to stress is yet another major challenge today in this hard paced life. Greens, especially lettuce, contains a sleep inducing substance called ‘lactucarium’ a compound which has been used to treat cases of insomnia.
- Provides discipline – Surprisingly, a healthy high-fiber diet provides a mental discipline which helps discipline the entire you.
Today with so many different dressings and toppings apart from various combinations the net effect is that we have a whole range of delicious salads and no longer a second choice. What you also get by default is turn around with your looks too. Regular consumption of salads has an amazing effect on outer beauty too with benefits to supple and flawless skin, bounteous hair and healthy nails.